Friday, June 5, 2015

Story- Mimic Song-In the end by black veil brides (helped inspire this story)


There she was. Her tan skin gone pale, she looked like death. Well maybe that was because she was pretty damn close to it. They said not to touch her but I would hold her hand anyways. It was cold. I would do anything to make her warm again. Even though she had no expression I could she was sad.

            This wasn’t my fault, but the person who did this was gone. He wasn’t dead, but he ran. Most of me wanted to blame him but a small part of me wanted to blame her, but how could I when she was laying here. Her life wasn’t in her hands anymore.

 I got up and walked to the elevator. The door was just about to close when a male voice yelled for me to hold the door. I stuck my hand in the middle so it wouldn’t close. I saw a handsome male doctor about my age rush between the chrome doors.

“What floor?” I asked quietly

“Uh, the first.”

            I hit the button for him, then put my clammy hands back in my coat pockets.

            “Visiting?”

            “Yes.”

            “You come here a lot”

            “Yeah.”

            “You aren’t much of a talker, are you?”

            “Sorry, you just caught me in mid-thought.”

            “Your friend is pretty bad shape, isn’t she?”

            “How do you know?”

            “Know what?”

            “That my friend is a she.”

            “I’ve noticed you, what is your friend’s name?”

“Lola.”

“And what is your name?”

“Carolyn.”

“Would you like to know my name?”

I shrugged and gave him a head nod.

“I’m Mason or Dr. Russell.”

The handsome young doctor flashed his name tag at me while he told me. As he talked to me I looked his body up and down and observed his body language. He was about 5’9, had wavy dirty blonde hair mostly off to the side. He was one of those people that would look directly into your eyes when he spoke to you. He came off as confident. He wasn’t. He hated the fact that he was one of the younger doctors. He was very easy to analyze. I could analyze anyone. It was just a gift I had. I had a few others, but this was the strongest. I didn’t know why he was speaking to me. I definitely wasn’t his type. I could just pick that up right away.

The door finally opened and he walked out with me and continued to talk to me.

“Do you live around here?”

“Sort of”

He started to head to his car.

‘Do you need a ride?”

“No, I’m fine. I will ride the bus.”

“Are you sure?”

“I said I’m fine.”

“I guess I will see you tomorrow then.”

I give him a nod and walk away. I stop at the bus stop ahead of me. I waited there quietly for a few minutes then the bus came. I gave my dollar and sat down. I pressed my head against the autumn chilled window.

 I started to feel this unbearable headache. As the ride went on it got worse and worse. More people entered the bus. Every new person brought new information in my head. I felt temples throbbing. I took a deep breath and slipped my hands into the pockets of my jacket. I closed my eyes and put my head back. I could feel the sticky sweet drip down the back of my neck. I threw my short, curly, fiery orange hair into a small ponytail.

 More people got on the bus. I couldn’t stop my mind from wondering into theirs.  I was incapable of not analyzing people. My mind was becoming overloaded. I got up at next stop and started running as fast as I could. I wasn’t that far from my apartment. I rushed to unlock the door and went to the nearest trash can and continued to puke. My body mimicked the feeling of a hangover. I slumped down at my kitchen island. I could drink alcohol all freaking week and not feel a thing but the second I’m around a big group of people I feel weak and drunk.

I dragged myself over to the couch and sat. I looked around my empty apartment. It was neat and tidy just how I liked. Well it was more like spotless, I had been doing everything I could to stay distracted while Lola was gone. It was so clean. Too clean. I stood up and started to throw the blankets on the floor in the process I knocked over a lamp and it broke. I jumped up and down on it and smashed other things. After an hour of doing this I looked at the disaster I had made. I was backed into one clean corner. I slid down the wall and laid down. I wanted to cry so badly, but I couldn’t. I wasn’t capable. The only time I could express real heart felt emotion was with Lola. Only because she could tap into my emotions and make me do what I tried my whole life to avoid.

I took my own hand and held it.  It had been this way since I was three. I closed my eyes and slept in that one clean corner.

Next day I got up and changed, my clothes and headed to the hospital. I wore ear plugs on the bus hoping that would help a little. It did…barley. When I got to the room Lola was in, I saw a worried look on Mason’s or Dr. Russell’s face.

“Carolyn we have new information about your friend Lola.”

“What is it?”

“We did a blood test on her a two days ago and we just got the results back.”

“And?”

“Nothing showed up.”

“Well isn’t that good then?”

“No, nothing showed up as in no information. It says she has no blood type!”

I looked at Mason calmly. He was confused why I wasn’t freaking out. I walked over to Lola and took her hand and felt her veins. I felt a vibration. As long as I felt that vibration I knew she was alive. The reason why she didn’t have a blood type was because she was protecting herself. She sensed that something was wrong. He was back. He was here in the hospital I could tell. And coming closer.

I heard someone clear their throat and Mason and I turned around. Dr. Lloyd, who was Lola’s main doctor and some other guy were standing in the doorway. I was still holding onto Lola’s hand and I felt it tense up.

“Oh Carolyn you’re here. I’m guessing that Dr. Russell filled you in about the new details on Lola.” Said Dr. Lloyd

I stood up to face the two people.

“Yes, he did.”

“Quite strange isn’t?” said the man

“Oh Carolyn, Doctor Russell this is Dr. Epstein. He is the new hematologist. He specializes in blood. He reviewed Lola’s case.”

I stared directly into the man’s eyes. Something was blocking my analysis of him. The man kept avoiding my eye contact and staring at Lola. I touched my veins and felt the vibration jump from being high to low. They told us that Lola’s case was very strange and they would run more tests on her. The two doctors left.

“I need to see her file.”

“Dr. Lloyd will never show you the file.”

“Then you go get it and show me.”

“I can’t, I’m not her immediate doctor.”

“Fine, I will get it myself.”

“But how, they keep them locked up and the only way you can get in is fingerprints.”

I looked at my hands then at the door knob. Doctor Lloyd was the last one to touch it. I watched my hands become a blank slate.

“I will figure it out.” I said as I walked to the door.

I put both of my hands on the door knob and watched as Doctor Lloyd’s fingerprints become mine. I walked out of the room and looked and found a doctor and followed her to the room where they kept the files. I watched her place her hand on the scanner, walk in and walk out. I jogged up to the door and made sure no one was around, and then placed my hand on the scanner. It read Dr. Francis Lloyd. I walked in and the door closed behind me. I searched for her file and frequently checked the door just to make sure no one was coming in.

I finally found Lola’s file. I slipped it into my jacket and left. I headed straight for the elevator. I slide through the doors right before it shut. I took a second to catch my breath, then I realized someone was beside me. I looked over and it was that new doctor that looked over Lola’s case. I straightened up and felt my veins, the vibration was very weak. I saw the man out of the corner of my eye and he was smirking. He was finally looking at me so I looked at him in his eyes.

I put my back against one of the walls of the elevator and slid my hands in my pockets. He was still smirking.

All of the sudden things became a lot less cloudy. I looked back at him. It was him. Before he could finish turning towards him I gripped his neck and slammed him against the elevator doors and hit the stop button with my other hand.

“Looks like someone finally wised up.”

“Why the hell are you here?”

“Because I can be.”

“Why did you do this to Lola!?”

“Oh, I didn’t. Your stupid little friend just got in the way.”

My grip tightened. “Of what?”

“I was aiming for you, but she took it upon herself to “protect”, you.”

I lifted him up by his neck.

“Why are you after me?”

“Because I can.”

“Oh cut the crap Dad!”

“So you remember me.”

“Of course I do. A kid never forgets stuff like that.”

“Then you know why I am here.”

“You were always angry, you didn’t have a boy and then I was born and you didn’t want anything to do with me. I also remember that you tried to kill me when I was younger, so my mother sent me to live Lola.”

He shrugged his shoulders. I dug my nails into his easily breakable neck.

“Wow you think you are so strong don’t you?”

He kneed me in the stomach and pushed me against the wall. And held a knife to my neck.

“Here we are again. You deserve to die Carolyn.

I struggled to breath.

“You were always jealous of me. You couldn’t take that after I was born that you weren’t the strongest mimic anymore!”

“Well of course! How could a little girl have stronger gifts than me! How could any woman be stronger than me?”

“Well you are just a sexist asshole aren’t you?”

I stared at the knife and bent the metal. He threw the knife to the side.

“Fine, I will just kill you with my bare hands.”

I tilted my head. “Aw thanks dad that’s so sweet.”

I levitated the knife and straightened it. I could never do that before. I looked at my father and he looked surprised. I sent the knife straight into his heart. He clutched his chest and I kicked the knife farther into his chest.

I stepped over his dying body and pried the doors open and ran back to Lola’s room. I saw frantic doctors all over her. Her eyes were open. I felt my veins. The vibration was normal. Lola was back.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment